5/06/2009

I Hit the Mother Lode of Depression Glass!

One of the disadvantages of participating in the community garage sale every year is not getting to shop the neighborhood. My husband won't let me leave because he's afraid he'll sell something valuable for next to nothing and then I'll be mad - this is based on an incident where he sold a cha-cha bracelet with about $15 worth of beads in it for $5 so there's some basis for his concern, lol! But anyway, this year my friend across the street calls and tells me that another neighbor is selling her collection of depression glass and would I like to look at it before the sale opens. Would I??!! I'm in my car and on the way to her house in a heartbeat! I walk into her garage and wow - (harp music) - be still my heart! Pink and green and yellow glass glows softly on a long table. It's almost a spiritual experience - if you collect depression glass then you know what I mean. I select a good number of items, pass on some others, head home, unpack, reconsider, go back and buy some additional items. I'm a happy camper! After the sale I get another phone call telling me that I can have anything that's left for half price. So back into the car I go with my garage sale earnings in my pocket which I promptly spend on more pretty glass :) When I have everything unpacked and set up in my living room I do a happy dance! I've never had so much colored depression glass set out all at one time and it's soooo pretty!




That's where I've been for the last few weeks, obsessed with researching, photographing and listing my new treasures. Ah, glass - it's an addiction and a labor of love.

No comments: