8/31/2009

Thrifting in Miami

It rains the next day so I head off to the local thrift and antique stores that I always visit when I’m in town.
The crabby old guy who owns Dietel's Antiques just had open-heart surgery a few weeks ago but there he is back in the saddle with his shirt unbuttoned low enough to show off his stitches. Unfortunately, his disposition is now worse than ever. After one too many nasty comments from him about how much I am willing to pay for some mid-century glassware – which he refers to as “cheap crap” - I walk out vowing never to return. I leave my pending purchase of glassware (all of which has been languishing in his store for at least a year) sitting on the counter. I’m sad about leaving these treasurers with someone who doesn’t appreciate them, especially three beautiful antique cut glass saltshakers with sterling tops and some Ritz Blue glass by Hazel Atlas including three Sailboat items, but they will have to wait for someone else to rescue them from this horrid little man. Every time I drive by his store for the rest of the trip I stick out my tongue *pffft!!* Silly, but it makes me feel better and it amuses my passengers :-)

I visit a vintage clothing store across the street and OMG what a blast from the past! When I was young, I loved to go dancing at the local clubs – this was during the Disco era and my favorite outfit consisted of an aurora borealis iridescent white sequin tube top with wide leg pink bell-bottom pants and shiny white patent leather platform sandals with 4-inch heels. I could have purchased an identical ensemble right then and there, but I restrained myself, lol!

2 comments:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Wish you'd posted a pic of yourself in that outfit, sounds gorgeous! You did right to leave the glassware. Perhaps it will wake him up to how his actions affect people. And you would never have looked at any of these pieces without thinking of him!

Karen-CharmingsCollectibles said...

I wish I had a photo. I was looking for an album from that era but I can't find anything pre-kids. It's like I didn't exist before I became a mother! I did, didn't I?